Thursday, January 03, 2008

Goals vs. Habits, Part 2

So. I had been toying with the idea of using the Flylady system of habits (not goals) on myself for a while. Not just for weight, but for emotional issues and stuff like that, too. And then the other day I read something in one of the group emails she sent out:

It doesn’t have to be perfect to be better than it was.

For some reason, even though I’ve seen other variations on that statement, the first time it really penetrated my skull was when I read it there.

So with all that in mind (including Part 1, below), I decided that I would not set GOALS this New Year’s, but that I would think of 12 new HABITS I wanted to build in myself. Initially I figured one habit every month, but . . . ahem . . . there’s that whole instant gratification thing. And some of the new habits were pretty simple. So most of these are two weeks each, although some are a little longer, depending on how many times I’ve tried and failed at them. ::::sigh:::: I am hoping that these habits will cause me to drop weight by default, but I’m also trying to learn that even if I don’t lose any weight, that’s ok, too. (I do have a secret list of things I hope the habits result in – like a certain amount of weight loss – and I’ll probably post those tomorrow, but I’m trying really hard to not let them be the POINT.)

So, here are the first 4 new habits that I’m going to work on developing:

  1. Spend 15 minutes journaling / blogging every day, including 3 things I accomplished and/or am proud of. (Gotta build that 3rd chakra back up.)
  2. Spend 15 minutes submitting to LA Casting every evening. (Simple and accomplishable – more 3rd chakra work!)
  3. Plan and pack tomorrow’s lunch and snacks for work TONIGHT. (So I can stop eating crap at the commissary and save some money, too!)
  4. Go to bed, lights-out, by 9:30. (Ouch. This one’s hard, but eventually I want to get up and work out in the morning, and if I don’t get enough sleep, that’s never gonna happen.)

BTW, here’s what I’m proud of today:

  1. I got up early. Not a lot, but all I asked of myself was that I get up early; I didn’t specify a time.
  2. I made some New Year’s Resolutions that are totally attainable, and will benefit me in the long run, instead of becoming more things I failed at.
  3. I got the info to call LA Casting and update my headshots (which I will do tomorrow).

No comments: